Tuesday, December 6, 2016

The Clever Apprentice

A shoemaker once engaged an apprentice. A short time after the apprenticeship began the shoemaker asked the boy what he would call him when addressing him.

"I would call you master," answered the apprentice. "No," said the master, "you must call me master above all masters."

"What would you call my trousers?" "I would call the trousers," said the apprentice. "No, you must call them struntifers."

"And what would you call my wife?" "I would call her mistress," replied the apprentice. "No, you must call her the Fair Lady Permoumadam."

"What would you call my son?" "I would call him Johnny," answered the apprentice. "No, you must call him John the Great."

"And what would you call the cat?" "I would call him pussy." "No, you must call him Great Carle Gropus."

"And what would you call the fire?" "Oh, I would call it fire." "No, you must call it Fire Evangelist."


"And what would you call the peat stack?" "Oh, I would just call it peat stack." "No, you must call it Mount Potago."

"And what would you call the well?" "Oh, I would call it well." "No, you must call it the Fair Fountain."

"And, last of all, what would you call the house?" "Oh, I would call it house." "No, you must call it the Castle of Mungo."

The shoemaker, after giving this lesson to his apprentice, told him that the first day he managed to use all these words at once, without making a mistake, the apprenticeship would end.

Then one morning, the apprentice got out of bed before his master and lit the fire. He tied some bits of paper to the tail of the cat and threw the animal into the fire. The cat ran out with the papers all in a blaze, landed in the peat stack, which caught fire.

The apprentice hurried to his master and cried....

Master above all masters, start up and jump into your struntifers, and call upon Sir John the Great and the Fair Lady Permoumadam, for Carle Gropus has caught hold of Fire Evangelist, and he is out to Mount Potago, and if you don't get help from the Fair Fountain, the whole of Castle Mungo will be burned to the ground.!!

By Walter Gregor
Copyright Ⓒ Miles Kelly Publishing Ltd 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment